Jump Back to the Action:
ActivStars Karate News
Spring 2019 Midwest Karate Tournament
The events are fun and easy to understand. Your instructor will show you exactly what to do in class. Each event will also be explained in detail at the tournament. Events will be split according to age, size and/or belt rank depending on the event. It’s a great experience you won’t want to miss! This is a great opportunity for all ActivStars Karate students – fun day and gives students a platform to demonstrate/perform the techniques and martial arts skills they have learned in class.
Trophies & Olympic-style Medals Awarded
ALL contestants will be given an award in each event they participate in!
Arguing with the judges, directors, etc. will account for immediate disqualification from this AND future tournaments!
Students who are “Pre-Registered” online will NOT have to wait in line the day of the event. We will have a special “Online Registration” check-in for these students! PLEASE PRINT YOUR EVENT AND SPECTATOR TICKETS AND BRING THEM TO THE TOURNAMENT.
Day of Registration: Students can register for the Tournament the day of – during the “Registration Time” scheduled for your specific belt rank. On site parents/guardians can pay with a credit card, check or cash.
Please be ON TIME for event registration, as the Tournament will begin on time and we don’t want anyone missing out on the first few events!
ONLINE REGISTRATION WILL BE AVAILABLE UNTIL MIDNIGHT the MONDAY prior to the event~ April 1, 2019
Tournament Order of Events –
- DEMO TEAM (2nd Session Only): Teams compete by performing exciting demonstrations to the tournament audience. The winning team will be presented with the coveted “Tournament Cup,” the exclusive traveling trophy.
- ESCAPE DRILL: Open to white & yellow belt students only. Contestants will be timed individually and “break free” from four different “stranger dangers” applying different grabs: 1) Single-hand grab 2) Double-hand grab 3) Front choke 4) Rear choke. Be sure you use the “proper” release technique learned in class to break free from each grab. The contestants who use the proper techniques and break free the “quickest” are the winners.
- STRONGEST PUNCH: Contestants will have three chances to punch a “Meter” bag that measures their power. Use any hand strike taught in class. Only hand strikes will be allowed – NO elbow strikes.
- STRONGEST KICK: Contestants will have three chances to kick a meter bag. Use any kick taught in class. You will have up to five feet of distance from the bag. Only foot techniques allowed– NO knee kicks. No Shoes Allowed!
- FASTEST FIST: Contestants in each age group will have three chances to strike a “meter” bag that measures their reaction speed. Use any hand strike taught in class.
- FASTEST KICK: Contestants in each age group will have three chances to strike a “meter” bag that measures their reaction speed. Use any kick strike taught in class. Only foot techniques allowed – NO knee kicks. No Shoes Allowed.
- CRAZY ATTACK: Contestants will have 10 seconds to punch and kick a “Meter” bag that will measure total hits and power.
- MUSHIN (No-Mind Defense): Open to green belt & above students only. This event is designed for athletes to defend against impromptu attackers showing multiple self-defense techniques.
- FLAG SPARRING: Open to all belt ranks. Contestants are given an opportunity to test their speed, footwork, accuracy and reactions in a safe but competitive setting by grabbing two flags from their opponent.
- BOARD BREAKING: Open to students green belt and above. Contestants use correctly executed hand or foot techniques to break one board. Contestants are judged on technical skill, showmanship, and creativity. One breaking board must be purchased for this event, and will be available for $2 at the time of tournament check-in.
- KATA: Open to green belt & above students only. Do any kata learned in class—judged on: 1) Kiai (yell) 2) Difficulty 3) Power & snap 4) Focus – will be split according to age AND belt color.
- WEAPONS KATA: Open to green belt & and above students only. Adult divisions also available.
- SPARRING: Open to yellow belt & above students only, for those who participate in “sparring” class. This event is split according to age AND belt*.
GENERAL ETIQUETTE: With new events added, we are expecting a higher level of etiquette when a student performs throughout the tournament. Below is a small guide of what a student should prepare for their etiquette during tournaments. Etiquette WILL affect scoring.
- Sit in Seiza at the ring (Anza if needed).
- Once student is called, stand up fast and bow into the ring.
- Walk up to the judges, bow, and stand in Jumbi (Ready Stance).
- State your name, instructor, and what you’re about to perform.
- Once judges give permission, bow and walk backwards to spot. (DO NOT turn your back to the judges)
- Bow gain, return to Jumbi and perform your event.
- Once the judges, walk backwards out of the ring.
- Bow out of the ring, sit back in Seiza (Anza if needed) in your spot.
Tips for good etiquette:
- Be confident with every move you do and every word you say.
- When speaking to the judges, place focal point right above the judges’ heads. This makes it easier to focus.
STUDENTS MUST WEAR THEIR OWN CHEST GEAR, HEAD GEAR, HAND PADS, FOOT PADS, MOUTH GUARD & CUP(for males). Orange belts & above are required to have their own headgear with face protection! Read the Sparring Rules & Regulations! Students without proper sparring gear will be disqualified.
Saturday, April 6
TOURNAMENT OPEN TO ALL Belts - ALL Ages
8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. Registration White & Yellow Belts
8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. Black Belt Demonstrations
9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. White & Yellow Belt Tournament
12:30 – 1:30 p.m. Registration Green Belts and Above
1:00 - 1:30 p.m. Demo Team Competition
1:30 p.m. Green Belts & Above Tournament
$10 Registration Fee and $10 for each event entered. (Package deals are available for more events entered)
1 Event - $20
2 Events - $30
3 Events - $37
4 Events - $44
5 Events - $52
6 Events - $60
7 Events - $68
8 Events - $76
9 Events - $94
10 Events - $91
11 Events - $98
12 Events - $105
Spectator Fee: $4.00 per person age 9 and older
What to Bring:
Spectator Rules of Conduct:
Kids benefit in big ways from our programs
"We love the different levels, and our star looks forward to each semester where she gets to learn something new. Pom tryouts were a nice touch."
"The best thing any young cheerleader can do to get ready for their school’s cheerleading tryouts."
"Big emphasis on teamwork and fun, which you don’t find in many programs. Thank you for being so inclusive."